Digital Mammography Procedure
About Digital (2D) Mammography
Mammography is an X-ray of the breast tissue and is the most effective way to detect breast cancer in its earliest stage. Our state-of-the-art digital mammography systems use amorphous selenium, a direct conversion detector, that produces precise digital images by eliminating the image-degrading effects of light diffusion.
The Women’s Center at Bayshore Medical Center has received a three-year, full accreditation designation by the National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers (NAPBC), a program administered by the American College of Surgeons and our mammography services are accredited by the American College of Radiology and certified by the Food and Drug Administration. The Women’s Center also offers tomosynthesis (3D) mammography. Click here to learn more.
What to Bring:
- Prescription from your physician
- Your health insurance cards
- Your personal identification card
- Any previous mammography films
What to Wear:
- Wear a two-piece garment for your comfort and changing ease
- Avoid wearing any deodorant, powder or lotion in your breast and underarm area
Once You Arrive:
- You will complete a short medical history form (Forms can be found here)
- You will be shown to a private changing area
- Your mammography exam will be performed by one of our certified mammography technologists
After the Exam:
- All diagnostic exams are read, and the results are discussed with each patient the same day
- All screening mammograms are read, and patients are called with results once the report is complete
- A report will be sent to your physician
- If you need a breast ultrasound to further investigate any mammogram findings, this can be done on the same day as your diagnostic mammogram
If further evaluation is necessary, we offer a full array of diagnostic procedures, including aspirations, needle biopsies, and needle localizations. Second opinion film consultations and surgical referrals are available if needed.
Bayshore Medical Center
735 North Beers Street
Holmdel, NJ 07733
To speak with a nurse, or learn more about our Women’s Center, please call 732-497-1870
To schedule an appointment, please call 732-497-1726
If you have already scheduled an appointment, please call 732-897-7979 to register.
To request films, please call 732-962-7230
Hours of Service
Monday & Tuesday: 7 a.m. – 8 p.m.
Wednesday-Friday: 7 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Saturday: 7 a.m. – Noon